Saturday, July 12, 2008

Wedding Things I Love Part 2

My mother says the most memorable wedding reception that she has ever attended took place in 1967, when her cousin Sonny got married. For the reception, the couple asked each of their aunts and mothers to bake their "signature" cake instead of giving them a wedding present. All of the cakes were served with ice cream from a big freezer. There were something like twenty-three cakes, all different flavors. My mother gets a sugar craving talking about it

I know there is no law saying that a wedding should have a cake, but I must admit that it one of the things that I look forward to the most when going to a wedding (I'm sure I'm not alone in that!). While there is a timelessness to a tall, tiered, white confection, I love nontraditional wedding cakes, both for their stylistic value, and for their cost saving ability - you could make a few pies or cupcakes on your own, then arrange them the day of. I'm sure it would be just as sumptuous as any over-priced store bought confection. How fun are the cake centerpieces?

While I adore the idea of a cheesecake and pie buffet, the Mister LOVES cake. So we'll probably have a cake buffet, with a few of our favorite flavors. We may end up buying them, but I do the love idea of having (willing!) family members contribute by sharing their own homemade cakes.



No comments:

 
Who links to me?